March 18, 2006

Favorite Things

The other night I was out at the horse farm feeding and cleaning. It had been raining for an hour or so, and I could hear the rain against the metal roof over the sounds on my iPod. It was late, and I was sifting manure out of blond colored shavings, surrounded by the warm smell of wood shavings, dusty horse, and the sweet smell of hay. The light was on behind me, adding to the warmth of the stall by throwing out a golden colored light. Then the wind blew and stirred the blades on an ancient fan perched in front of the light bulb. It made a flickering strobe-like shadow in the stall that felt like something from a movie. The wind brought with it the smell of rain, and dirt, and grass, and night - and I was enveloped by a sense of rightness. It was a perfect moment, and from here forward, when I think of this place, this will be the image that comes to mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful imagery... feels like I was there myself.