October 11, 2004

GUESS Where I am!

At the hotel - and I am not a guest. I got a pathetic call Friday begging me to cover shifts because their auditor quit without notice. So here I am. I have to admit, I kind of missed it. I am very comfortable tonight, like listening to an old song that takes you someplace really nice. Tomorrow I will hate myself, but right now I am happy. Plus I had a Pumpkin Spice Latte tonight before I got here, what's not to love?
I haven't been able to post lately from home because my computer has some crud. I should have known that not updating my Anti-Virus would catch up to me. So now I'm trying to amend the damage. I think it is going to take awhile. I have to sneak around the crud since it won't let me access my internet. I have to download antivirus on another computer, put it on to a CD and then download that on to my computer. This is why I don't like computers.
I realized this past week how much I love Autumn foods. You can only imagine how excited I was to see that Starbucks has a Pumpkin Spice Latte. I love pumpkin, sweet potatoes, butternut and acorn squashes, all of those rich winter foods. Maybe this is why I have so much trouble with my weight? I get so excited about these foods, and cooking this time of year. My two favorite recipes - Cream of zucchini Soup (made with gorgonzola) and Cilantro Pumpkin Ravioli (I make the pasta from scratch). Sadly Ex. #1 doesn't like either. He can starve!
My grandmother is still struggling with the move, I don't think that she believes that I will do it. She has a "Save the Q's Soul" task force formed. I am part of it! We are praying to Saint Therese daily that I fight temptation and live a Catholic life in Dallas. I have managed to complete the prayers once or twice. I wish I were the type of Catholic to could worship with such abandon, but I get torn between traditional beliefs, and being honest with myself and having a more personal spirituality. Sometimes I even feel like I have no spirituality, I suppose that's why she has me praying. I am going to miss my grandparents and my parents a lot. I'm so afraid that something will happen and I won't be here to help them. I've already told my grandma and grandpa (Andy and Poppy) that I'd like to be there for the annual Kolachky bake right before Christmas. It's a grueling event that beings very early in the morning on the 22nd or 23rd, but it is so much fun. Poppy worked in a Czech bakery in high school and knows the recipe by heart. He figures out how much of something he needs by feel. I want to learn the recipe as well so that I can carry on the tradition once he is unable to. I can't imagine a Christmas without Kolachkies.
I got an amazing sweater from Andy this past week. She is about to have a garage sale, and I stopped by to see her. Hanging in the garage was a cream colored sweater with a spider mum beaded on it in pearl, gold and tarnish-black (once clear, I think it looks better this way) beads. She's had it since the 60's, and was going to sell it for $4.50. I wouldn't have that, so I got it. I'm going to make her dinner to make up what I owe her. It's SO BEAUTIFUL and such a steal, I'll post a picture of it when my PC works again. It even smells like her, which is comforting.
All else is good. I'm still looking for a place to live, but luckily Ex. #1 decided we didn't need to live in those nice apartments and we're looking at something closer to the light-rail so I can take it to school and not have to drive. I finally have a couple of good paintings of my own, and I was told that I am in charge of decorating the new apartment, so I'm excited. After we figure this out the next step is finding a job!
Feel caught up?

4 comments:

The Q said...

As soon as my computer works I am chaing the color back.

Anonymous said...

Two things: One, you can't move to Dallas. You can't. Two: Since you told me the true meaning of the word "Factoid," my most hated professor (you know the one-- Little Miss 'your punctuation is shit') has MISUSED that very word TWICE! Thanks to you, I can sit there smugly knowing that she's not as smart as she thinks she is!
Ellie
PS Also somehow there is highlighter on my lucky fossil. I am mad. I threw the highlighter out in retaliation.

Anonymous said...

Ryan has a GREAT recipe for butternut squash stuffed with mushroom rice pilaf..it's WONDERFUL. Remind me next time I see you and I'll get you the recipe.
~The Sam

Anonymous said...

I always thought chai tasted exactly like pumpkin pie (which, by the way, is the sole reason Thanksgiving exists). Are you saying there's a drink that tastes MORE like pumpkin pie out there?

~Em~