January 20, 2019

Gig Life

Thursday I realized that I actually feel really good about all of this.

That morning I dropped the little girl off at Mother's Day Out and headed over to a job where I am helping with administrative and organizational work on a extremely part-time basis. I worked for about three hours, picked up the girls and took them to the Austin Nature and Science Center where we saw rescued animals and went for a short hike down to Barton Creek. We befriended another toddler girl and played with her until it was time to head home.

Today I fed horses and cleaned stalls for 5 hours. It was cold, quiet, and dusty.

I haven't quite figured out what Sundays are supposed to be like. I have a weird guilt about being out of the house and leaving my husband to handle the girls all day, but I solo parent on a daily basis. Additionally, I sort of expect a handoff of responsibility on weekdays when he gets home from work, and I don't really grant him any recovery time, but that is all I want when I get back into the house: a couple of minutes to eat lunch and recalibrate.

I am not constantly creating, but I feel that my creative batteries are charged. I have so much motivation, but not enough time! Hopefully I'll be able to work on getting these 6+ ideas out of my head and get some gardening done this week. I brought home a bunch of paper feed bags and some thin cardboard from the farm to act as biodegradable weed block. I also need to start seeds for things like tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, and direct seed leeks, escarole, more beets, more carrots, and more radishes (I have been eating so many of them lately, roasted with parmesan cheese or in a spicy sweet soy glaze).

Personal goal for tomorrow is to find a way to work fresh greens into two meals. I have baby swiss chard in the fridge for a green smoothie. I had thoughts of mixing with strawberry chia pudding as a smoothie bowl, but I think the red and green combo will be unappetizing. Maybe the second meal with be with dinner? We're having tofu caulirice stirfry.

Off to log some admin hours, and hopefully finish a pair of pants + get a look at the blood moon.

No comments: