July 13, 2018

It's fig season. For years that has meant I pick as many figs as I can, and make jam and preserves. I don't eat sugar like that anymore, and I limit the kinds and amount of fruit I eat. I was feeling really sad about it. I love figs!

I dug around on the internet for "no sugar added" preserves. I kept finding recipes that used juice as a sweetener. Finally I decided to just make something of my own. It's isn't keto-friendly or anything, but it is better than the recipe I made years past. I can eat it in moderation. They can't be canned, as far as I know. I don't know enough food safety science to figure out if it is possible, but they can be frozen. Here's what I did:

Fig, Lemon, Thyme, & Chia No Sugar Added Jam

!2 oz figs, halved (quartered if large)
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
1 + 1/2 c water, divided
sprig of thyme
3 tbs chia seeds

 
optional:
Stevia
Lemon Juice

In a medium sauce pan, add water, lemon, and figs to 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Fish out stems from thyme. Mash fig mixture with a potato masher. Transfer to a  jar, add chia + 1/2 c water, stir well. Let cool then transfer to fridge. Wait  at least 3 hours for chia to gel before enjoying.

*If you take a taste and it needs more kick, or the figs weren't especially sweet, add a little lemon juice or stevia to taste.

No comments: