July 24, 2008

Channeling my inner Julia Childs

The best cigarette is after a meal you really enjoyed, but didn't over-indulge in. I generally don't praise smoking, I'd hate to add any encouragement that might subtly convince someone to start, but it is very true. Chances are, if you are a non-smoker and test this hypothesis, you will vomit. So just take my word for it.
Tonight I made a modified nicoise salad, with smoked salmon instead of tuna. I had salmon to use up, and as soon as I thought of it I was starving. It was REALLY good. I adapted this recipe. Only I used dried herbs instead of fresh, because it was a lot cheaper to use what I have, and I halved all of the dressing measurements, since I was making enough for two meals, dinner and tomorrow's lunch. Where it says "salt and freshly ground pepper" I used a lot of salt - I felt it needed it. I used kalamata olives instead of nicoise because it seems as though HEB doesn't have them, and I didn't feel like going to Central Market or Whole foods. I eye-balled the amounts for the salad. I assembled all but the salmon, dressed it, and added the fish last. I didn't want much of the dressing on the fish because it was salty enough on it's own. It was wonderful. It is a shame Casey is in Vegas and had to miss out.
I am going to try my hand at Chocolate-Chile Mole Meringues later tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: