April 5, 2007

My grandfather, Pa, died just over a year ago. He lived in an incredible but neglected house in the famed '04. Once we finished going through things my parents decided to sell it 'as-is' because it did need some considerable work - starting with the foundation. An investor offered more than they were going to ask before we listed it. The investor has spent the time since remodeling and improving it, and now has it listed for $449,900 (#4399647). For the most part the house looks lovely. I like the floors, the interior color, even the walls they tore down; I don't like the fire place or the fact that they painted the exterior brick. You know what is so cool about brick? You never have to paint it! It was nice looking brick, too.

Before I knew him, Pa had throat cancer. The radiation all but ruined his ability to taste. It did leave his ability to taste sweet things behind, and from that day on candy was never more than an arm's reach away if you were with Pa. We even had candy near-by at the funeral as a tribute to him.

When I found the pictures online I looked through them to see what had been changed. As I glanced over the photo of the living room I decided that I agreed with my mom - the fireplace was too big. I then I noticed what looks like a wine bottle - full of jelly beans?

pa's living room too

It may not be. For all I know, it is a label I don't recognise. I don't care - it IS jelly beans to me, the subtle influence of my grandfather or a move made in his honor.

All of the same, I cried when I saw it.

2 comments:

madge said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww. Those are jelly beans.

Lauren said...

They totally are jellybeans. The fireplace, way to big.