July 8, 2004

What Good is a Security Guard That Causes More Problems Than He Can Fix?

A large group of boys from a team came in from dinner. Security came over to me and asked if he should be worried about them and I told him no, that they had been here for quite a while. But some of them made lots of noise up on the floors so I asked Security to verify that the noise makers were kids before I called the team's coach. He looked up at the floors and held up six fingers, indicating they were on the sixth floor. I called the coach and she immediately said, "We just got back, and none of our rooms are even on the sixth floor," as the security guard walks up and says, "I think the one on sixth was an adult, the kids are on five." So the guest was mad at me, I apologized and hung up, embarrassed even though I knew it was her group. I turned to him and snapped, "THAT'S why I asked you to tell me if it was the kids! Can you just go up there and tell them to shut up? I shouldn't be able to hear them here!" He looked wounded and responded," I was about to go on the floors anyway." Once he came down he was so proud to tell me what room another coach was in if there were anymore problems. I already know what rooms all of the coaches are in. This group has been here well over a week and I have a color coded list of the guests involved with them.

I had called him back down to the desk for a specific reason too, so his filling my time with BS was only making me more angry. "Please take this battery to 515, the smoke alarm is bee..." Before I could finish the word the phone rang again and 515 was on the other end frantic and angry because now the alarm was going off - you know the sound from the last time you fried something? - and why had they had paid so much to have this happen to them? Free Night. I had to call our tech people to make sure that once Security unplugged it wouldn't set off the master alarm for the hotel. Because THAT would really make me a nice person.

The same boys (only two) just came down and I can feel Security coming over to talk to me. I want to tell him that I want him to go home, and that I don't feel any safer when he's here. After all, HE was the guard on duty the night the guest sexually harassed me - and I don't mean that the guest said something I didn't like. So if he can't keep me safe, and he can't keep them quiet, and he doesn't know how to shut off the alarms, why is he here?

No comments: