April 22, 2019

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a link to a part time job posting she'd come across that a colleague of hers had posted. She said the assistant role had made her think of me. I read over it, but didn't apply - I like the things I have going right now. I like the people I am working for, and I don't want to let them down. Maybe that was a mistake.

I wasn't paying attention when I paid my credit card bill earlier this month, and missed the minimum payment by $13.00. I honestly don't know how it happened. I had the money at the time. I most likely paid the bill at 6:00 am, in bed right after waking up. Probably not the best strategy, lessons learned. Due to the nature of part time work with varying hours, my personal expenses (credit card and phone) are dealt with paycheck to paycheck. In some cases I am able to do a little more work to close whatever gap. If I have extra money, I may splurge and be the one who buys the next pack of disposable diapers for night time and Mother's Day Out, because I feel like it is my fault that Casey has to pay for everything. I know that layoffs at my company were not my fault, realistically, but I feel like it is my fault we are in this situation. I could go and try to find a full time job out of the house, but then I'd have to pay for child care (which might completely negate my pay) and disrupt B's schooling, and that feels like too much for family. And at this point, I'd have to figure out what my marketable skills are. WHOLE OTHER POST.

So my credit card company called today, about my past due amount. I confirmed that she meant $13.00, that it was from the April 5th due date, and that my next due date was May 5th. I let her know I'd simply made a mistake and it would be resolved on or before the due date, as soon as I get paid. I had to explain to this person why I didn't have the money, why I couldn't set a payment date, why it wouldn't work to change the due date. I had to tell her, "I got laid off, I'm working three different jobs, they have varying hours and do not have a set payment schedule. I made a mistake, I am mortified, I have told you that you will have the money on or before the due date. Please, I'm getting really upset. I just can't give you what you want right now." She was nice enough after that. She agreed that I have a lot on my plate and let me know that they will still have to make regular calls until the balance is resolved. Cool. I  won't answer.

So, creditors - can we get one courtesy chance? I totally get that there are repeat offenders, but I haven't messed up like this or missed a payment in a REALLY long time. Like, "Okay Corley, I hear you. I do have to set a reminder to follow up on your account on May 6th. If it is not resolved at that time we'll have to approach this differently. Here is how to contact us if something comes up, or if you think of a way we might be able to help you."

I feel like life is working to keep me humble. Nice touch on this: the sewing class I was going to teach on the 28th has ZERO people enrolled so far. Weather has meant that I've had less work out at the farm - once because storms were too severe, once because weather was so nice that the horses hadn't been in the stalls much, so there was very little for me to clean up.

Going to go figure out what I can do to make some more money, right now.

No comments: