December 14, 2006

I abide by Murphy's Law.

Today I went out to the farm around 11 am. Casey met me out there, and left around noon. I tried to leave shortly thereafter, but the law said, "NO!"

You see, my truck is still all f-ed up. Her bumper's hangin' pretty low. Actually, it's hanging low enough to catch on the edge of a bitchin' pot-hole and get smashed against my tire. Bringing me to an abrupt stop. I know better than to drive with that rubbing my tire. So I parked in the middle of the dirt road to wait. I was on a horse farm, surely someone with a big truck and a chain would drive by any minute.

Or, 75.

Hey, someone showed up, and that's all that mattered. Well, my 2 o'clock final mattered too, but because my professor actually knows me by name I got off easy. She didn't think I was trying to get out of the final. Plus, who makes up a message like, "Hi Professor Hunter, this is The Q from your Government class. It's about 12:15, and I am desperately trying to make it to the 2 o'clock final, but I am stranded on a horse farm in Pflugerville. See, my bumper was damaged from a previous wreck, and I hit a pot hole and now it's mushed up against my tire. (chuckle) I even got it appraised for repair today.. Anyway, I wanted to let you know I'd be late. Call me if you need to, 512-555-5555. Bye!"

She even called back and left a reassuring message. I sat in the bed of my truck in the sunshine and studied while I chain smoked and waited for someone to show up and help me. It was almost nice.

I made it to the final by about 2:30, and she seemed please and surprised to see me. I finished the exam with time to spare. I just hope she can read it. It's a six page hand-written essay. Anyone who has ever seen my hand-writing knows how problematic this might be.

1 comment:

madge said...

I heart empathetic professors. They are so rare.