March 25, 2021

 We’re inching toward normal. My husband and I have each had our first vaccine. Our parents are all being vaccinated. Our support network is finally an option again. We gave up on distance learning and are sending the big girl back to in person school, starting this week. We all need it, but especially the little one! Her big sister needed so much support to get through school (totally understandable, she’s seven! Who wants to do school when you can play?) that I had to leave her to her own devices, and she wasn’t getting enough engaging, non-screen, imaginative play. Today I took her to a store for the first time in a year. We went to a local garden center, and aside from making sure to grab one thing I actually wanted, I let her decide where we went and what we looked at. We walked around the place for two hours, and now I have a sun burn and the knowledge that my four year old would like a pick ax, please. 

I imagine it won’t be long before my husband is asked to come back into the office. They’ve always believed strongly in sharing a creative space. His home workstation is in the closet I had set up as an office for years, and I let him know that when he goes back in person, I’m claiming it as my own for a sewing space. He seemed a little hurt that I expect him to get ALL OF HIS THINGS out of the space, but he just finished building himself a large, 15x24ft workshop. I deserve a closet. Since realizing this will be here before I know it, I’ve been daydreaming, intensely. Previously I’d considered renting a climate controlled storage unit to use as a studio, but when would I have time to be there? THIS! Is so much more accessible. I have something else to look forward to! 

No comments: